Here’s hoping everyone had a wonderful long weekend, with plenty of luge, bobsled, and curling (if that’s your thing)!
As we get back into the swing of things, here are a few reminders:
In case you have missed it, big changes are coming to Office 365! This week’s Friday Coffee Fix will cover a lot of information about the changes, so make sure you stop by L1735 from 10-12 or again from 1-3. If you can’t make the Coffee Fix, you can stop by L1735 to chat with Kathleen Coate during her drop-in hours (with the exception this week of Thursday, when she won’t be holding them).
Please also remember that students will not be able to access their current Office 365 accounts from Friday, Feb. 23 at 6 pm until Monday, Feb. 26. Keep this in mind as you create due dates, etc. Students CAN start using their new Office 365 already, however, and this will be available all weekend. To login, students should visit https://login.microsoftonline.com.
Book orders for summer semester are due today! Tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb. 21), links will be sent out for Fall 2018 orders; these orders are due by Monday, March 12th.
Here is some information to help the book ordering process go more smoothly:
Here is the site for ordering your books. Log in using your Normandale email address. For those that may have forgotten their passwords, please note the password reset link on the log in page. Please call 952-358-9130 should you have any issues logging in.
Here is a list of important reminders about the book order process.
Here, also, is a video that explains how to complete your order:
If you have any other questions, here are the people to contact:
- Technical questions: Chris Peterson
- Book-specific questions: Shanna Ross
- Rental questions: Tiffany Dresen
Congratulations to Xiaosheng Li, who just received certification through Quality Matters for Calculus 3! Xiaosheng joins several other Normandale faculty who have completed this process to ensure nationally-recognized certification for their online courses. You can find more information here.
Some other opportunities and articles of interest:
- UW-Stout is hosting the “E”ffordability Summit from March 26-27, which will be of interest to anyone concerned about the rising cost of educational materials. There is NO registration cost, and lunch is provided! More information can be found on their website.
- Inver Hills Community College and Dakota County Technical College are hosting an Adult Learner Institute June 13-14. They are currently accepting both registration as well as proposals, if you would like to present something. Their website has more about the topics that will be covered and the keynote speakers.
- As we near the middle of the semester and student attention starts to wane, you might find the research of Christine Harrington and Todd Zakrajsek helpful. In their book Dynamic Lecturing: Research-Based Strategies to Enhance Lecture Effectiveness, they have a chapter about holding students’ attention. Part of that chapter is posted on Stanford’s Tomorrow’s Professor blog.
- And last but certainly not least, one of Normandale’s students is featured in the documentary “Resettling in Minnesota,” which will be aired and then discussed at the University of St. Thomas on Wednesday, February 21 from 6:30-8 pm in ASC Room 340.
Have a great week everyone!