Hi all! We hope you survived the Thanksgiving holiday and that you are rested and ready to finish out the semester strong.
While it might seem too early to think about next semester already, we do want to highlight three topics that will be featured in various ways during our CTL programming next semester: hybrid course design, inclusive classrooms, and active learning strategies. These are topics that continue to come up as areas in which faculty want more training–we’ve got you covered!
- Hybrid course design: Thank you, again, to faculty who filled out the survey about what you are looking for in blended/hybrid training. You can see the full results here, as well as summary of the results. One of the major breakout sessions during the January Development Day will be on hybrid course design, so get ready!
- Inclusive classrooms: We will be having several speakers throughout the spring on ways to make our campus and classrooms more inclusive, but for now, here is a post from the Office of Graduate Studies at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln with some straightforward practices that can promote inclusion in the classroom.
- Active learning strategies: The Teaching Circle on Active Learning will be sharing some of their research during the January Development Day; here, also is an article from Stephanie Chasteen at the University of Boulder about how to help students engage productively in active learning classrooms. The article is part of a larger series on active learning–there are a ton of resources available there if you are interested!
A few more notes before I sign off for today:
- If you missed last Monday’s CTL hour on Test/Performance Anxiety with Normandale counselor Kristen Cooper, the materials from that session have been posted on the CTL D2L page. Thanks, Kristen, for sharing your expertise with us!
- Congratulations to Xiaosheng Li for passing another “Quality Matters” certification for his online Math 2150 course! You can find more information about Quality Matters and what it is here.
- Thank you to everyone who has posted a conference nametag on our bulletin board in F2201! It’s great to see the topics that faculty are exploring and the places they are visiting. Keep ’em coming 🙂
- And finally, this week’s Friday Coffee Fix is “Bring Your Own Questions” from 9 am-12 pm and again from 1-3 pm in L1735.
Have a great week everyone!