Join us today in A2552 – 3pm! Things You Need to Know About Student Absences
Did you know that faculty members are legally required to make attendance-related accommodations for students who are pregnant or parenting, or who have a disability registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities?
On Monday, January 29th, CTL, together with staff from the Office of Students withDisabilities, is giving the presentation “What You Need to Know About StudentAbsences Related to Pregnancy, Parenting, and Disability.”
- Come to this session to learn about federal legislation that may affect your classes, as well as to hear about ways that you might accommodate pregnant/parenting students or those with disabilities while still maintaining the rigor and integrity of your courses.
- This presentation will take place on Monday, January 29th from 3-4 pm in A2552. We hope to see you there!
We know there’s a lot of information coming at you about our various technology changes.
Here’s a summary of what you need to know, and why it will be awesome.
Q: What is the “domain change” all about?
A: Changing all link URL addresses that contain .mnscu.edu to .minnstate.edu
Q: Hasn’t the domain change happened already?
A: Yes. However, if you are experiencing broken links in D2L, it’s either because the link wasn’t changed by the “search & replace” tool, or because it was redirecting you automatically, but has now stopped redirecting you. For example MediaSpace links are being redirected only through January 30th.
Q: What if I didn’t check all my MediaSpace links in D2L?
A: They should have been replaced with the “search & replace” tool on Dec. 27th. However, some areas in D2L could not be searched, such as Discussion boards, or links within a PowerPoint or Excel file. If you are unsure of how to make these changes yourself, ask for help.
Q: What if my MediaSpace videos were inserted in D2L using “embed code” instead of a link?
A: They will still work. The MediaSpace embed code has not changed. However – it is recommended that you check your embedded MediaSpace videos to be sure.
Q: Why will this be awesome?
A: Because URL’s will be consistent with what we are called. For what it’s worth.
Q: What is the “Office 365 migration” all about?
A: A couple of things.
- Student emails are being moved to a “cloud server” for Minn. State so they can receive emails in one place even if they attend more than one college in the system.
- Students, Faculty, & Staff’s “OneDrive” files will migrate to a statewide server during the 3rd week of February. (Keep checking your email for exact dates of this migration.)
Q: What if I have a lot of files in my “OneDrive,” accessed by my Normandale email address?
A: During the 3rd week of February, OneDrive files will automatically “migrate” to the statewide server. After that time, you will no longer be able to access the previous Office 365 OneDrive.
Q: What if I am currently sharing a file or folder with specific people at Normadale?
A: The sharing permission for specific people will still be there, even after the migration to the new server.
Q: What if I uploaded a file into D2L from my OneDrive?
A: You don’t need to do anything. The file now lives in your D2L “manage files” area.
Q: What if I have a link in D2L to a OneDrive file?
A: The link will break after the migration. You should replace the link after the migration, or, move your file now to the new server and re-link it.
Q: How do I access the new Office 365 server?
A: You can access it now, by going to https://login.microsoftonline.com/
- Username is YourStarID@minnstate.edu (eg: email@example.com)
- Password is your Star ID password
Q: What will happen if I have a file on both my old Office 365 server and my new one that has the same name?
A: The migration will keep the newest file.
Q: What if I use Office 365 apps such as “Forms” and “Sway”?
A: Because these are saved outside of your OneDrive, they will not migrate. You will need to move them to the new server before the migration happens, or you will lose what you’ve made.
Q: How do I move my Forms and Sways to the new server?
A: Follow these instructions, and ask for help if needed:
Q: Where can faculty and students go for more information and updates?
A: IT has put together information on their webpage
Contact them directly at 952-358-8181 or AskUs – Employee Edition
Q: Why will this be awesome?
A: Because faculty, students, and staff will all be on the same server, and not have to log in with multiple accounts for different colleges in the system. Faculty will also have access to the same applications that students currently have, making for more robust options with technology.
Q: What does “D2L is moving to the Cloud” mean?
A: On June 2nd, D2L will no longer be hosted “on-prem” (meaning – on our premises) but will be moving “to the cloud” (meaning – up in the sky where all the other really cool internet stuff is.)
Q: What will change and why are we doing this?
A: This is just a hosting change that D2L Brightspace is requiring so that we can continue to receive necessary software updates. (Basically, if you’re not in the cloud, you’re obsolete.) Any functional changes will be communicated as it gets closer. Click here for more detailed info on the “move to the cloud”
Q: Where can I go for help?
A: Several great options:
- Contact the IT Helpdesk directly at 952-358-8181 or submit a question to AskUs – Employee Edition
- Visit Kathleen Coate during drop-in or appointment hours in L1735. Click here for drop-in or appointment hours.
- Attend one of four specific Friday Coffee Fix sessions geared toward these changes – on Feb. 9th and Feb. 23rd. Click here for the complete Friday Coffee Fix schedule